Authors: Piotr Grudowski, Piotr Waszczur
Title: CHARACTERIZATION OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES (SMES) OF POMERANIAN REGION IN SIX SIGMA METHODOLOGY APPLICATION
Keywords: Six Sigma, small and medium enterprises, researches
Background: Six Sigma is related to product’s characteristics and parameters of actions, needed to obtain these products. On the other hand, it is a multi-step, cyclic process aimed at the improvements leading to global standard, closed to the perfection. There is a growing interest in Six Sigma methodology among smaller organizations but there are still too little publications presented such events in the sector of small and medium enterprises, especially based on good empirical results. It was already noticed at the phase of the preliminary researches, that only small part of companies from this sector in Pomerian region use elements of this methodology.
Methods: The companies were divided into groups by the type of their activities as well as the employment size. The questionnaires were sent to 150 randomly selected organizations in two steps and were addressed to senior managers. The questionnaire contained the questions about basic information about a company, the level of the knowledge and the practical application of Six Sigma methodology, opinions about improvements of processes occurring in the company, opinions about trainings in Six Sigma methodology.
Results: The following hypotheses were proposed, statistically verified and received the answer:
- The lack of the adequate knowledge of Six Sigma methodology in SMEs limits the possibility to effectively monitor and improve processes - accepted.
- The use of statistical tools of Six Sigma methodology requires the broad action to popularize this knowledge among national SMEs - accepted.
- The level of the awareness of the importance as well as practical use of Six Sigma methodology in manufacturing SMEs is higher than in SMEs providing services - rejected, the level is equal.
- The level of the knowledge and the use of Six Sigma methodology in medium manufacturing companies is significantly higher than in small manufacturing companies - accepted.
- The level of the knowledge and the application of elements of Six Sigma methodology in SMEs is positively appreciable by these companies, which implemented the QMS -accepted.
- SMEs prefer to improve already existing processes rather than radically to redesign them in order to reduce the inconstancy - accepted.
Conclusions: The level of the knowledge of tools and techniques of Six Sigma methodology in SMEs in Pomeranian region is low and requires a broad popularization action. The level of the awareness of the significance as well as the practice of the use of Six Sigma methodology in manufacturing companies is not significantly different from that one in companies providing services, but it is higher in medium ones in comparison to smaller ones. The introduction of QMS has also a positive influence on this level. The companies of this sector prefer to improve processes rather than to redesign them.
Full text available in in english in format: Adobe Acrobat pdf
|MLA||Grudowski, Piotr, and Piotr Waszczur. "CHARACTERIZATION OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES (SMES) OF POMERANIAN REGION IN SIX SIGMA METHODOLOGY APPLICATION." Logforum 7.4 (2011): 3.|
|APA||Piotr Grudowski, Piotr Waszczur (2011). CHARACTERIZATION OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES (SMES) OF POMERANIAN REGION IN SIX SIGMA METHODOLOGY APPLICATION. Logforum 7 (4), 3.|
|ISO 690||GRUDOWSKI, Piotr, WASZCZUR, Piotr. CHARACTERIZATION OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES (SMES) OF POMERANIAN REGION IN SIX SIGMA METHODOLOGY APPLICATION. Logforum, 2011, 7.4: 3.|